The Dodowa Health Research Centre (DHRC) was created, in 1990, as a satellite research station by the Ghana Government with the help from the British Overseas Development Agency (now DFID). It was set up to serve the southern Ghana belt, with the mandate to conduct health research with the aim of guiding policy and decision making within the Ghana Health Service (GHS).
The DHRC is headquartered in then Dangme West district now the Shai Osudoku and Ningo Prampram Districts of the greater Accra region of Ghana. The Centre has a specialization in Malaria Operations, Maternal and Child Health, population studies, Communicable and Non Communicable Diseases, Sexual and Reproductive Health and Health Systems with a special focus on Implementation Research. In 2005, the DHRC set up a Health and Demographic Surveillance Systems (HDSS) which covers an area of 1,528.9 square kilometers.
DHRC has Staff strength of One Hundred and Forty four (144), made up of Social Scientists like Medical Anthropologist, Sociologists, Public Health Specialists, Demographers, Medical statisticians and Data Management, Financial and Accounting Professionals, Medical Practitioners and Biological Scientists.
Our vision is to conduct multidisciplinary research to address health priority areas with the aim to improve global health.
To be a center of excellence that provides national and international leadership in quality research to address health challenges and to produce evidence for health policy, planning and service delivery.
Our Specific Objectives
- To take part in identifying and carrying out priority research to help address policy, planning and implementation needs of the GHS.
- To help build the capacity to undertake research and find more efficient/cost effective solutions and implementation alternatives to identified need and problems.
- To disseminate results of research findings to key people, policy makers and anyone responsible for health care in a meaningful way.
- To be an African/International Resource Centre for building capacity in applied Social Science Research.
Partners and Funders:
- World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine through the Gates Foundation
- INDEPTH Network
- INESS through the Gate Foundation
- School of Public Health, University of Ghana
- Georgetown University
- International Labour Organisation
- Wellcome Trust
- African Media and Malaria Research Network (AMMREN)
General Information on the Centre:
The Senior Administrative Manager
Tel: +233 -5013- 36172
All Correspondence to the Centre must be addressed to:
Dodowa Health Research Centre
Post Office Box DD1
Dodowa - G/A
For more information please visit our website www.dodowa-hrc.org